Friday, August 23, 2013

What a morning!

Ole Kingy decided he was getting up before the sun today, which is awesome.

Also means I didn't get a run in but we did take a nice long walk at 6am to get out of the house and put an end to the whining. I'm hoping to squeeze a good run in tonight.

I love walking/running our road. We have the best views.







On the way home from our walk I realized that I forgot to check the mail yesterday so per usual, I asked Kingy to show me where we get the mail and we wandered over. This is kind of a non-event because the only thing that comes to our house is Cabelas catalogs and bills.

To my surprise though, I found a letter addressed to The King from the baseball office at a local-ish college. I kind of giggled to myself and sent a picture of the envelope to Papa Bear with the caption "Ry is already being recruited".

I figured inside was an invitation to a baseball clinic and was one of those mass mailings they send out to raise money. I've been to a million of them. I set it down and planned to open it after breakfast.

Said breakfast or shall I say feast took a while because Kingy was apparently starving. He ate three eggs, toast with jam and a slice of watermelon this morning, which is way more than I eat for breakfast on any given day. I think it's safe to say his teeth are feeling better. He hasn't been eating well lately.

After I cleaned up, I remembered the envelope. I asked Kingy if he wanted to go to a baseball clinic and opened it up and totally planned to save the envelope because I'm weird like that.

This is what I found (I'm typing it to protect everyone because people are weird):

"Dear Ryan,

My name is XXXXXXX and I am the head baseball coach at XXX College. After seeing your video, we have identified you as our top prospect for the class of 2030!

As our top recruit for the class of 2030, we will be tracking your progress very closely. It is evident that you have the tools to compete at the very highest level. You have the look, the smarts, and most importantly the swag to play in our program. 

Our goal is to win a National Championship and we need a leader to take us there. Ryan, we believe that you are destined to be a leader of men. We want you to be the guy that leads us to greatness and takes us to the Promised Land. 

You have a very bright future Ryan and I am excited to track your progress both on and off the field. I look forward to seeing you play again soon, until then, keep working hard, have fun and go XXX!

Sincerely,
Coach XXX"

And on come the giggles.

The King has swaaaagggg and he's going to be "the leader of men"!

I like this.

And then I start wondering, how in the hell could this be an accident and why has this coach seen a video of my kid? Was this really meant for The King? Is some creep going to show up at my house pretending to be a coach, whack me over the head and put Kingy in a baseball camp for the rest of his life where they'll pump him full of steroids and make him chew on baseballs until he gets kicked out of the MLB???

But it's funny. Really freakin funny. Especially because I think he actually is oddly good at hitting and throwing a ball and I would DIE if my dreams came true and he played in the little league world series one day. I seriously have dreams of being a baseball mom. No joke.

I'm nuts. It's totally fine.

I promptly hung the letter on our fridge, right next to a picture Kingy colored or more so scribbled on at daycare (he's clearly better at baseball). I then sent a picture of the letter to family, joking that The King is already being recruited. I also sent it to one of my good friends who was once upon a time recruited to play softball and would understand the ridiculousness of it all.

Well well well wouldn't you know, my friend just so happens to know the coach!

And so does my sister...

Who sent said coach a video of Kingy hitting a ball off the tee like a 12 year old.

Seriously, he hits like a beast. If I could get the damn video to load I'd prove it to you.

Now all hilarity ensues. I'm no longer creeped out and neither is PB. This is just too awesome and too funny. This letter is totally going to be framed and hung in The King's bedroom for life. Kingy is going to think he's the shit until he's old enough to realize its a hoax.

And then, because he's a male, he'll probably think he's the shit anyway.

Besides, who doesn't need their ego stroked once in a while?? This letter will do the trick.

I don't believe this was meant to be a mean joke, a joke all in the same, but from what my sister and friend tell me, this guy is super nice.

I'm wondering if someone else would actually think it's real and contact the coach asking for money though?

Which is exactly what I did.

Just to give him a little "ha ha" back.

"Coach,

Thank you very much for the kind letter and encouraging words you sent to my son, Ryan. While he is only 15 months old, we're certain that he is destined for great things.

We currently spend an hour each day hitting off the tee, playing catch and fielding ground balls. We hope to have him in the batting cages by fall and working on his skills in the outfield next spring. He is already incredibly strong so we're not focusing on conditioning just yet. We have also recorded the baseball world series and require him to watch it for 30 minutes each evening. He seems to be a natural and really enjoying all of the hard work. We're grateful for his natural abilities and work ethic.

The purpose in me writing to you is to ask if you are serious about his recruitment, inquire about the opportunity for scholarships and express our willingness to sign an early letter of commitment to XXX. We are very serious about his future and are certain that he will be an excellent baseball player.

Please let me know if we can provide you with additional information or if you would like to schedule a meeting.

Kind regards,
Jennifer"

I have yet to see a reply but my sister got a text from Coach saying "Jen wants to sign a letter of commitment".

Hahahaha my hope that he would initially think I'm insane totally worked.


Happy Friday Friends

xxoo
ma


No comments:

Post a Comment