Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Food Again

Surprise! I have wicked easy recipes to share.

It seems I have a knack for making things that don't require a lot of culinary skill or time, which I'm totally ok with. I'm far better at baking. Plus, you try feeding The King when he's ravenous while simultaneously trying to make a dinner that's remotely edible and ready when Papa Bear walks in the door. In one hour mind you.

It's hard and I don't have time to mess around.

Ready for this one...

Crock-pot Spareribs

Spareribs
Salt
Pepper
Onion (1)
Pepper (1)
BBQ Sauce (2 jars) - I used Jack Daniels brand this time. I'm usually a dinosaur BBQ fan.

I found a lot of recipes online that instructed you to make the marinade for the ribs but ain't nobody got time for that. So I generously seasoned those puppies with salt and pepper, chopped up some onions and peppers and threw them in the crock with the BBQ sauce. Cook on low for 8/9 hours or so and voila! Yummy ribs.

I may have cooked mine a smidge too long because all the meat fell off the bone. I think they were cooking for more like 10 or 11 hours but I don't have a timer on my pot. The ribs were still really tender and good but I think meat off the bone is a no-no in rib land.

Grilled Brussel Sprouts

I searched high and low for a recipe to grill these puppies and I didn't find one I liked, or had time to mess with so I wung it.

Brussel sprouts - I think I had 20 or so
Olive Oil
Minced Garlic
Salt
Pepper
Oregano
Parsley
Parmesan Cheese

I pretty much just tossed everything in a bowl with generous amounts of all the spices and olive oil. It really just depends on what you like. I'm not good with spices. I then put them in an aluminum foil little pocket and cooked on the grill for about 15 minutes or so. Once they were close to done, I took them out of the pocket and placed them directly on the grill for a few minutes. Be careful not to burn them though. Once they were done I tossed them in some Parmesan Cheese and threw em on the table. And there you have it.

I've never cooked brussel sprouts before so I'm sure there's much more you can do with them. If I didn't add the cheese, I would have squirted some lemon juice on them. Sounds kinda yummy I think.

The King dipped his in cottage cheese because that's just how he rolls. Papa Bear ate a handful to be nice and I ate most of them. I don't think Papa Bear cares for brussel sprouts in general so I'm not counting his vote.

Also, I made another pie over the weekend. I had a ton of berries from the yard and some frozen dough so it was a no brainer. I mixed the berries (raspberry, blackberry and blueberry) with about a cup of sugar, tossed them in the pie dish with a little butter. Covered it up, put some sugar butter on the crust and cooked at 400 degrees until it looked done. So good and wicked easy if you're having company. Make sure you have ice cream!

No comments:

Post a Comment