Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Canning Queen

First things first, happy hump day peeps!

I totally kicked my garden's ass last night and canned a bunch of goodies! We had a huge pot of beans and 12 or so cucumbers so we canned up some spicy beans and dill pickles. The obvious. Papa Bear was a huge help but seriously, canning is wicked hard and exhausting and so satisfying all at the same time.

Last night did not go as smoothly as my jamming session on Sunday. First, I forgot to buy cayenne pepper because I'm an idiot so that put a hold on things for a good 45 minutes. There was vinegar pretty much everywhere. I blew out the bottom of a jar while it was in the water bath, not sure how. Burnt my finger tips trying to get it out. Didn't hear any of the harmonious popping and totally thought I screwed everything up.

I feel like something else happened but I can't remember because I also didn't get any sleep last night. That's also probably plenty.

Of course the first thing I did this morning was check all of the jars and to my surprise, they were all sealed. It was like Christmas. Success!

Also, wilst getting our can on, I decided I'm going to name every jar something different. These are the names I came up with so far. I swear, I made these up on the fly. I was a giggling idiot and PB was shaking his head at me like I belonged in the loony bin but I don't care. I think it's brilliant!

We're jammin
Black Betty Jam
This is my jam
Jam Master J
Jenny's Jam
Dill-licious
Where there's a dill, there's a way
What's the dill-eo?
Nickel for your pickle
It's no big dill
Let's make a dill!
Dill-lightful!
Show me your pickle
Mean Beans
Angry Beans
My ass is on fire cause I ate the beans, beans
It's bean great!

I could go on but I'll stop there.

The King only wanted to eat pickles for breakfast so that means I'm pretty much awesome. Next on the list is banana butter, peaches, pears and probably a shit ton more pickles and beans. I'm hoping to fill two cupboards full of my canned goodies.

Fingers crossed!


No comments:

Post a Comment