Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Duck. Duck. Chicken!

Before I share my roasted chicken recipe, I just want to ask if anyone has recently watched the Grinch movie and do you also find it to be completely creepy and maybe a bit terrifying?

I love ABC family for showing these movies every year but I think this is one I could live without.

On to the chicken!

I looked up about 8 million recipes before I settled on just winging it. None of them were terribly difficult but for whatever reason, I was always missing one ingredient.

So here goes nothing and don't be alarmed by the length of the instructions. I'm no professional and am again, winging it. It's totally easy. Promise.

You'll need:
1 whole chicken - 3ish pounds
2 cups chicken broth
Salt & pepper
Bucks or other poultry type seasoning
Rosemary
Thyme
1 lemon
2 tbsp minced garlic
Tbsp butter

1. Buy a whole chicken.
2. Get it home.
3. Pull out all of those gross innards and then rinse well with water.
4. Pat it down with paper towel to soak up as much water as possible. I read you don't want to start with a soggy chicken.
5. Season liberally with salt and pepper. I never season things enough so I went to town on this puppy. Make sure you season the inside too. I also used Bucks seasoning but if you're not from Upstate NY, you have no idea what that is and you're pretty much missing out on the best spice of life. I'd suggest adding some poultry seasoning or something if you have it.
6. I let my chicken sit out for about an hour, all seasoned up.
7. Preheat your oven to 375
8. Season again with rosemary, thyme and minced garlic - inside and out. Use as much as you like. I probably used about a teaspoon of each of the spices and 2ish tablespoons of garlic.
9. Place the chicken in a dutch oven or roasting pan with a lid and pour in about two cups of chicken broth. I didn't have a rack or anything to set it on and it was just fine.
10. Throw a few pieces of butter on top of the chicken - I tried to smush it in, didn't work out. You could also do this before you season but I didn't think that far ahead because I was winging it. You probably didn't either if you're just reading this for the first time. I didn't use a lot of butter so I'm leaving this step here.
11. Cut one lemon in half. Use one half to squirt juice on chicken. Cut the second half into pieces and place inside bird and in broth.
12. Cover and cook for about 2 hours. You'll want to check the temperature, I don't know how PB determined it was done because I was hunting out back (that still is hilarious to me).

The chicken literally fell off the bone and we ate the entire thing. The King even ate a bit which is saying something for a kid who only eats venison. I'm not usually a skin gal but it was crispy and awesome and if you can sneak some broth out of the pan, I definitely suggest scooping some onto your plate. We had roasted potatoes and squash to go along and it was perfect.

Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment