Monday, September 30, 2013

Win some, Lose some

Ever have the kind of morning where you wake up and just know, there is absolutely no way in hell you're getting out the door on time?

We had one of those mornings.

But rather than run around, rushing and trying to get out the door on time, I embraced the late-ness. We took our time and went through all of our routine and neither The King, nor I, was crying when we got into the car.

Small miracles.

We had a ridiculously busy weekend. I'll just put the pictures at the end of the post because I know that no one really cares what we did all weekend and also know that you probably had equally busy weekends. I will say that the "no-sleep" nonsense Ole Kingy is pulling the last two weeks is really old.

Amidst all of the insanity, I had dinner with two mom friends, which was a lot of fun. I don't do that enough. Naturally, dinner involved a lot of chatting about babies and men. We talked a lot of nonsense and compared war stories but the one thing that stuck with me was our discussion about making our relationships better.

One of the two friends mentioned that her pastors wife had given her some advice over the years and one thing she told her was to get dressed every day. Like, when your husband gets home from work, don't be in sweatpants, with no makeup and your hair piled on top of your head.

Uh oh.

Now this feels pretty old school but it did kind of make sense to me. As soon as I get home from work, I put on the sweats. If it's the weekend, sweats. It's kind of hard with a little guy to wear nice clothes. We're always outside playing or he's inside, covering me in food. If we leave the house, I try to be presentable but a majority of the time, baggy sweat pants are my go-to.

And let's be honest, I'm friggen tired. I don't have energy or time to do my hair and make up every day. Neither of which, I've ever really bothered with anyway.

My mom once said to me and my sister when we were seriously slobbing it up,  "I don't know how you girls plan to keep your men when you look like that!"

She said it jokingly but she was kind of right I suppose. The woman does her hair and make up every single day. It's actually kind of annoying to me because it takes forever but I guess there is a method to her madness.

On top of that discussion, the pictures that were taken of The King and I this weekend were awful. Not him of course, just me. I look really, really tired. I have bags under my eyes, my hair is a mess, the laugh lines and crows feet stood out like neon signs on the side of a deserted highway.

I asked my mom if I looked old and she in a very nice way said yes without saying yes and then suggested "maybe I should start putting some eye cream on at night."

At least she was honest.

How the hell did I age so much in just a year?

Oh, and I found a gray hair on my sweater this morning.

Icing on the cake.

I can't imagine PB is really very thrilled with the looks of his baby mama either. I wouldn't want to snuggle up to me either.

So, call it what you want, but sister needs to get her act together. Maybe look a little less "seasoned" or "weathered", to put it nicely. I do not take care of my self and I know this. I can't promise I'll do it every day but I'm going to make a pointed effort not to look so awful or you know, try not to look how I feel...exhausted.

I guess I thought I'd share this because there has to be a few others out there like me. Maybe you're less vain or something and think I'm stupid, I don't know. But relationships take effort and I oughta try a little harder.

To the mama's out there who have it all together, bravo.

To the mama's out there like me, let's do this!

The weekend:

My buddy
Cousins at the orchard

This is PB from behind. Scary.


Pickin

Wagon ride

Pulled over to watch the farmers cut the corn. 

Had to pull his own pumpkins

Fishin in the yard with dad

He loves to get scared by PB

Carvin











Hope you had a great weekend!

xxoo
ma

No comments:

Post a Comment