Monday, September 23, 2013

Donate

I have a really bad habit of reading terribly sad stories.

I just stumbled across "Kisses for Cami" which is a parents' blog documenting their daughter's battle with cancer. Cami recently lost her friend to cancer and just a month later, learned that hers has returned.

Please read it.

The good news is that we could all potentially save a life by donating bone marrow. I've never really heard of any of this and didn't realize it was so easy to sign up. I'm sure the process itself is much more complicated if you're a match but the initial process of adding yourself to the registry is simple.

You can learn more about the process and sign up to donate here.

Cami's dad also posted on the blog and addresses some of the myths about donating. All it takes is a quick swab of your cheek and they will actually send you the kit in the mail. It's so easy.

It's super hard for me to read this stuff since I became a mom. I can't even imagine what I would do if I were in their shoes but I know I'd be begging for help. From anyone. So I immediately signed up to donate and quickly got a "sorry, you're not a good match because you have asthma. Try again in two years."

I hate that. I hate it a lot.

So, my hope in posting about this is that a few of you will "pick me up" and sign up to donate. I should also mention there is absolutely no obligation to go through with it if you are a match and chicken out. You can pull your name at anytime.

You could totally save someone's life and you might even be a match for Cami. Who knows?

Please, please, please take a second to at least consider it.

And I'm sorry for making you sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment