Wednesday, June 26, 2013

I'm about to blow your mind

And by me, I mean something I found on Pinterest.

If you recall, we have chickens. Some of said chickens are also laying about three eggs a day, so we've got almost three dozen eggs, on average, waiting to be consumed.

How much can you do with eggs, you ask?

Well, lots.

First up. Egg salad.

If you're like me and strongly dislike mayo, this will be right up your alley. Here comes the part where I change your life...substitute avocado for the mayo.

That just happened.

I used about six eggs and one whole avocado but you could totally add more or less of either. Make sure the avocado is pretty ripe. Add some fresh bread, lettuce, salt&peppah and BAM. You have a delish sandy that's not deli meat. Papa Bear and The King totally dig it.

I also swapped out mayo for avocado in the tuna wrap I made Papa Bear last weekend. He said that was good too but he may have been lying to be nice. The verdict is still out on that one.

The avocado is obviously a way, way healthier alternative and none of the texture or taste is sacrificed. It's totally yummy.

Another little diddy I actually made up, that's unbelievably uncomplicated and not creative. I made Papa Bear and Uncle Drew BLT's the other night for dinner. Wait for it...I added avocado and buffalo mayo to the traditional, you guessed it, lettuce, tomato and bacon. The bacon was from their Papa's farm so it wasn't packaged and filled with crap which is awesome. It is so, so good. Plus I buttered and grilled fresh bread from a bakery and added some cheddar.

I followed that up with strawberry shortcake (local strawberries baby) and brownies from a box. Because, I mean, lets be real. They talked about it for a solid hour after they ate. It's totally a man meal.

I'm a culinary wizard and a rockstar. Talk about a homerun.

You're welcome.

I also have plans to try this recipe soon. I need some healthy breakfast that I can take to-go, or even just a healthy snack. I found this on Pinterest too via Gimme Some Oven blog


No-Bake Energy Bites
Prep Time: 10 minutes
10 minutes
Yield: About 3 dozen
These delicious little no bake energy bites are the perfect healthy snack!
Ingredients
  • 1 cup (dry) oatmeal (I used old-fashioned oats)
  • 2/3 cup toasted coconut flakes
  • 1/2 cup peanut butter
  • 1/2 cup ground flaxseed or wheat germ
  • 1/2 cup chocolate chips (optional)
  • 1/3 cup honey or maple syrup
  • 1 Tbsp. chia seeds (optional)
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
Method

Stir all ingredients together in a medium bowl until thoroughly mixed. Let chill in the refrigerator for half an hour. Once chilled, roll into balls of whatever size you would like. (Mine were about 1" in diameter.) Store in an airtight container and keep refrigerated for up to 1 week.

Makes about 20-25 balls.
Ali’s Tip:
Substitution ideas can abound for just about any of these ingredients! Feel free to substitute in your favorite nut butter (almond buttersunflower seed butter, etc.) for the peanut butter. And you could also add in some wheat germ in place of some or all of the flaxseed. I would caution, though, against substituting agave nectar for the honey, as the honey’s thickness helps hold things together.
Some other fun substitutions for the chocolate chips (or an addition to them) could include:
  • chopped dried fruit (apricots, dates, raisins, etc.)
  • dried berries (cranberries, cherries, etc.)
  • chopped almonds, pecans, walnuts, or sunflower seeds
  • other chips (butterscotch, dark chocolate, milk chocolate, white chocolate, M&Ms, etc.)
  • other grains (different kinds of oatmeal, rice cereal, etc.)

No comments:

Post a Comment