Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Women and the bathroom

I know the group bathroom break baffles men everywhere, understandably so. To be honest, I don't understand how they deal with balls every day but whatever. We'll never understand each other.

I am totally guilty of taking a pal with me to the restroom when I'm in public. It's just more fun to chat and gossip while you pee. Not to mention you have a second set of eyes to tell you if your face looks a little like Heath Ledger in that batman movie.

What I find totally freaking odd and uncomfortable is when you head to the bathroom and there is a co-worker or someone you don't realllllly know on their way in too. What do you do? You have to be polite so you say hello and talk about the weather but then what? Keep chatting? Cut it off and pick it back up when you're done? Well I just witnessed a totally weird and awkward exchange between two women and it made me so uncomfortable that I felt a duty to share so you don't make the same mistake.

Here's the scenario

Upon entry to the little girls room, I immediately took notice of a crazy lady, literally standing outside another woman's stall shouting about the yankee swap and five dollars and when can she bring it and blah blah blah. Normally this would be ok but they were clearly not on the friend level. The woman inside the stall was answering in short "yep", "nope" and "uh-huhs", clearly un-freakin-comfortable. It seriously looked like crazypants wanted to go in there with her to finish the convo. This went on for a good 30 seconds, which is far, far too long.

I wanted to help the poor girl out and tell that crazy woman to take a hint, she is so not into having this conversation right now. Give her a minute of privacy and attack her in her cube later! She's probably cleaning up her cha-cha right now and you're trying to talk about Christmas. It's weird. It's almost like having no stall at all and offering to help her out with the toilet paper.

Don't you think the whole thing is strange? I've been on the receiving end of a clueless chatter box and also heard it play out quite a bit. I was pregnant last year so I was in the bathroom a lot and it always makes me awkward. Maybe it's weirder that I'm writing about it but I feel like it happens all the time.

The moral of my really long stupid post about the bathroom; it's always a game time decision people. My general rule is if you don't have the persons number in your cell, cut it off, do your business and commence upon the washing of hands. Don't be the crazy lady.

You're welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment