Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Everything comes to pass, nothing comes to stay

Well, The King has officially figured out that he sleeps in a bed and can escape any time he pleases.

It was a good run.

He's been in his toddler bed for just about a year now and has always stayed put until about a week ago. I'm not sure how I feel about his new found freedom.

The King always starts the night off in his bed; ok we're probably successful 98% of the time. I had to work late last night and around 9:30 he came busting out of his room crying and holding that everyone poops book. He apparently wanted to do some more reading? So I calmed him down a bit and after giving up on reading "poop" he then decided he would like to sleep in mommmy's bed. Unfortunately, I had a solid hour or two more of work to do so back down he went in his bed with just a little bit of a fight. Nothing unusual.

Around 1:30 this morning I heard some whining but didn't really wake up all the way because there are two kids of cries, "I'm fussing and annoyed" and "You better get your ass in here and help me". I thought it was the first so I stayed asleep.

Well next thing I know, I hear a "thump thump thump thump thump" coming down the hallway. Then get a poke. Then "Mama? Mommy? Mommy?"

And there he is, standing next to my bed with his arms straight up.

I knew this day would come.

So I scoop him up, and tuck him under the covers and whisper "Are you cozy buddy? I love you" to which he responds "Yesth, wa uou udda moon" and then as fast as the transaction occurred, we're back asleep.

That is, until he starts kicking me in the face two hours later.

But that's another post.

I have always been ok with Kingy sleeping with us. PB was pretty darn sure that he would never be allowed to do it. Then Kingy wanted to do it and now PB loves it just as much as us.

The escaping the room thing is kind of annoying but we live in a ranch style home so there's no danger of him falling down the stairs or anything crazy. I put a light in the hallway so he could navigate to one of us without walking into a wall or something. So he's good.

But here's the thing, I know co-sleeping is kind of taboo and that's where I'm sorta hung up. I can hear people now "Oh if you let him sleep in your bed now, he'll never get out" and "you can never be intimate with your partner" and blah blah blah.

To be perfectly honest, I think we love it as much as him. Neither of us see Kingy for 40+ hours of the week and my thinking is that if he misses us so much that he wants to sleep next to us, what could be the harm?

And it's not like he's going to live with us until he's 40 because he's too afraid to sleep alone! He sleeps in his bed for a good portion of the night too so we do have that going for us. And I bet his wife will love it that he likes to snuggle and sleep in the same bed, which is more than I can say for his father...

To address the affection thing, PB and I sleep at night and are affectionate during nap time or whenever we can sneak some time in. Plus, PB sleeps on the mother effing couch. So he already put the kibosh on late night lovin.

So are we crazy? Do we need to nip this habit in the bud? Do people really have 12 year olds sleeping in their bed? I find that hard to believe.

I think we may just enjoy it while it lasts because these phases don't last long and before I know it he'll be too macho to give me hugs and smooches and I'll be wishing I had snuggled him when I could.

xxoo
ma

No comments:

Post a Comment